Who is the next Farm Biosecurity Producer of the Year?
13 Sep 2017
Farm Biosecurity, 13 September 2017
If you know an Aussie farmer who takes biosecurity seriously and goes the extra length to avoid diseases, pests and weeds coming on to their property, then nominate them for the 2018 Farm Biosecurity Producer of the Year by 20 October.
The Farm Biosecurity Program is proud to partner with the Australian Government’s Department of Agriculture and Water Resources to deliver the inaugural category specifically for Australian producers as part of the annual Australian Biosecurity Awards.
Whether they work individually or with local, state or federal bodies, producers play a vital role in managing endemic diseases, pests and weeds and are crucial in detecting and containing exotic disease and pest threats.
The Farm Biosecurity Producer of the Year Award was established to recognise the contribution of producers who demonstrate outstanding, proactive on-farm biosecurity practices.
AHA CEO Kathleen Plowman is keen to see producers recognised for their biosecurity efforts.
“Implementing biosecurity at the farm gate is one of the most important steps in the nation’s biosecurity system and we are delighted to be partnering with the Australian Government in hosting the Australian Biosecurity Awards,” said Ms Plowman.
“All producers, from hobby farmers to large commercial operators, are eligible for nomination, with the ideal recipient being someone who has successfully integrated essential on-farm biosecurity actions into their everyday farm management strategy,” she said.
PHA’s Executive Director and CEO, Greg Fraser, echoed Ms Plowman’s comments, highlighting that the Farm Biosecurity Producer of the Year Award is the only accolade of its type which recognises the work producers do in safeguarding our country’s excellent biosecurity record.
“I encourage anyone who knows a friend or family member who practices outstanding biosecurity on their farm to nominate them for the inaugural award,” Mr Fraser said.
The 2018 Australian Biosecurity Awards will be presented at a gala dinner in Canberra in March 2018.
Eligibility for the Farm Biosecurity Producer of the Year Award
Australian primary producers, including individuals and organisations can be nominated. This comprises all forms of Australian farming, including large commercial operations, new and emerging niche industries and hobby-level farmers that:
- Demonstrate a sound understanding of the six biosecurity essentials of farm biosecurity:
- Farm inputs
- People, vehicles and equipment
- Production practices
- Feral animals and weeds
- Farm outputs
- Train, plan and record.
- Apply biosecurity practices relevant to their property/properties.
- Carry out biosecurity activities as best-practice preventative measures, rather than in response to specific threats.
- Show evidence of their biosecurity activities through planning, records, procedures etc.
- Advocate for proactive on-farm biosecurity practices among their peers.
How to apply:
- Check eligibility and nomination requirements in the general information section in the nomination form.
- Complete the nomination form.
- Submit the form no later than Friday, 20 October 2017.
For information on the awards, including the nomination form, visit agriculture.gov.au/aba