AUSVETPLAN Manuals and Documents
Animal Health Australia (AHA) manages the development and review of the Australian Veterinary Emergency Plan (AUSVETPLAN) on behalf of its Members.
AUSVETPLAN contains the nationally-agreed approach for the response to emergency animal disease (EAD) incidents in Australia. The plan is captured in a series of manuals and supporting documents, as listed below.
Describes the components of AUSVETPLAN and outlines their relationships.
|AUSVETPLAN Overview (pdf - 341 KB)||4.0||2018||Updated|
2. Disease-specific documents
Disease strategies and response policy briefs contain the agreed policy and supporting technical information for the response to an incident of the disease in Australia. AUSVETPLAN’s scope includes all diseases categorised under the EADRA.
Wildlife Health Australia maintains response guidelines for other diseases of wildlife.
The Bovine tuberculosis case response manual (pdf - 1 MB) provides information on the management of an incident of bovine tuberculosis.
* The ‘Response Policy Briefs’ document covers: Borna disease, brucellosis (due to Brucella melitensis), contagious bovine pleuropneumonia, contagious equine metritis, dourine, East coast fever, encephalitides (tick-borne), epizootic lymphangitis, equine babesiosis, equine encephalomyelitis (eastern, western and Venezuelan), equine encephalosis, Getah virus disease, glanders, haemorrhagic septicaemia, heartwater, Jembrana disease, maedi–visna, Menangle virus (porcine paramyxovirus), Nairobi sheep disease, Nipah virus, Potomac fever, pulmonary adenomatosis, sheep scab, Teschen disease, trichinellosis, vesicular exanthema, Wesselsbron disease and West Nile virus disease.
3. Operational manuals
Describe in detail the recommended procedures for activities that are common to most EAD responses.
|Decontamination (pdf - 658 KB)||3.2||2008||Under review|
|Destruction of animals (pdf - 739 KB)||3.2||2015|
|Disposal Procedures (pdf - 956 KB)||3.1||2015|
|Livestock Welfare and Management (pdf - 412 KB)||3.0||2007||Under review|
|Valuation and Compensation (pdf - 1 MB)||4.0||2017|
|Wild Animal Response Strategy (pdf - 1 MB)||3.3||2011|
4. Enterprise manuals
Provide information and guidance on specific types of enterprises that pose special economic or disease eradication problems or are important in the epidemiology or impact of certain EADs.
The enterprise manuals target personnel:
- involved in EAD response and decision-making who may be unfamiliar with the operations of that enterprise or industry
- working in the enterprise or industry and seeking guidance on the
- operational procedures which may be used in an EAD incident to exclude, contain or eradicate a disease
- development of EAD preparedness, including contingency plans.
|Artificial Breeding Centres (pdf - 151 KB)||2.1||1999||Under review|
|Feedlots (pdf - 479 KB)||3.0||2010|
|Meat Processing (pdf - 479 KB)||3.0||2007|
|Pig Industry (pdf - 985 KB)||3.0||2011|
|Poultry Industry (pdf - 1 MB)||3.1||2017|
|Saleyards and Transport (pdf - 763 KB)||3.0||2013|
|Wool Industry (pdf - 3 MB)||3.0||2015|
|Zoos (pdf - 838 KB)||3.0||2014|
5. Management manuals
The Control Centres Management Manual (parts 1 and 2) provides a management structure and an information flow system for handling an EAD outbreak at national, state/territory and local levels.
The Laboratory Preparedness Manual aims to assist veterinary laboratories to prepare a contingency plan for an EAD incident.
|Control Centres Part 1 (pdf - 1 MB)||4.2||2018||Minor update|
|Control Centres Part 2 (pdf - 3 MB)||4.1||2018||Minor update|
|Laboratory Preparedness (pdf - 289 KB)||4.0||2013|
6. Guidance documents
Provide general guidance to personnel involved in an EAD outbreak, to assist with understanding relevant policies and procedures.
7. Resource documents
Provide information on particular technical issues relevant to managing an EAD outbreak. Resource documents are not endorsed AUSVETPLAN manuals.
|Culicoides trapping (pdf - 459 KB)||1.0||2015|
|BIPIM Part 1 Public Information Policy (pdf - 1 MB)||2.0||2018|
|BIPIM Part 2 Public Information Operations (pdf - 1 MB)||2.0||2018|
|BIPIM Part 3 Job Cards (pdf - 1 MB)||2.0||2018|
|BIPIM Part 4 Templates and Forms (pdf - 1 MB)||2.0||2018|
|Destruction of Birds (pdf - 703 KB)||1.0||2014|
|National Livestock Standstill Decision Matrix for FMD (pdf - 310 KB)||1.0||2015|
|Dissection and sterile collection of major lymph nodes in cattle (pdf - 975 KB)||1.0||2013|
8. Other reference material
|Other reference material||Edition||Date||Comments|
|HPAI Chicken Meat Welfare report (pdf - 1 MB)||1.0||2012|
|Pig Welfare in FMD EAD Report (pdf - 3 MB)||1.0||2012|
|Persistence of Disease Agents in Carcases and Animal Products (pdf - 1 MB)||3.0||2017|
AHA gives no warranty that the information contained in AUSVETPLAN or the related resource documents, is correct or complete and shall not be liable for any loss howsoever caused, whether due to negligence or other circumstances, arising from use of reliance on this information.