Animal Health Australia (AHA) manages the Australian Johne’s Disease Market Assurance Program for Sheep (SheepMAP) to help producers identify and promote their low risk of Johne’s disease infection.
Since its introduction in 1997, SheepMAP operates in a very different disease environment. The SheepMAP Steering Committee identifies issues and makes recommendations about the structure and performance of the program.
Through on-farm biosecurity practices and testing, SheepMAP aims to reduce the impact of ovine Johne’s disease (OJD) on Australian livestock and trade to ensures the long-term sustainability of the sheepmeat and wool industries in Australia.
SheepMAP 2018 Review
Consultation about SheepMAP has now closed. AHA is working with the national sheep industries on revising the manual. Updates will be provided to participants and veterinarians soon.
SheepMAP 2013-14 review
In late 2012, the SheepMAP Steering Committee recommended a review of the SheepMAP to confirm its technical integrity and robustness. AHA contracted GHD Consulting to conduct a technical review of the SheepMAP.
- Download the Statement for the SheepMAP Technical Report (pdf, 305kB)
- Download the Technical review of SheepMAP report (pdf - 1 MB) .
The SheepMAP manual covers the background to the program, how it is managed, brief details of how testing operates and the review processes in place.
Version 1 of the manual was released in 1996, and AHA works with the Australian sheep industries and governments to keep it up to date. The current version of the SheepMAP manual was released in 2013.
How to establish and maintain a SheepMAP flock is detailed in the main section of the manual (elements 1-8 and appendixes).
- Download the SheepMAP manual (pdf - 2 MB) –navigate by sections using the left-hand panel of bookmarks
- Complete a MAP manual order form (pdf - 127 KB) to order a printed copy or CD-ROM version of SheepMAP manual and other MAP manuals.
Links to the SheepMAP forms are provided below.
If you identify any omissions or want to suggest non-technical changes, please complete the request for change form (doc - 105 KB) and fax it to AHA on 02 6203 5511.
Advice for veterinarians
Flock certificate and status notification forms are included in the current SheepMAP manual but please check with your state MAP coordinator before using the flock certificate form.
In some states, the department of primary industries will issue the flock certificate directly.
In others, the state MAP coordinator will advise the veterinarian of the number to record on the flock certificate.
All vaccinated sheep must be identified with an NLIS (Sheep) tag that contains the property identification code (PIC) or a number with the letter ‘V’. The flock status will also include a ‘V’ to indicate that it is vaccinated (eg MN2-V).
All SheepMAP flocks are required to have an annual review (internal audit) by the MAP-approved veterinarian and comply with the other SheepMAP requirements, including an external audit once every 3 years.
Producers can select their preferred quality auditor from a list of approved auditors and arrange for the external audit to be held in conjunction with other industry quality audits, such as those required by the LPA1 and LPA2 programs.
Download the SheepMAP forms below:
- S01015C – AGREEMENT BETWEEN FLOCK OWNER AND APPROVED VETERINARIAN (docx - 28 KB)
- S010205R – Boundary and Inspection Record (docx - 22 KB)
- S010205R – Flock and Property Risk Assessment (docx - 25 KB)
- S020105R – Introduced Animals (docx - 22 KB)
- S020205R – Record of Testing (docx - 21 KB)
- S030105R – Livestock Movement Record (docx - 21 KB)
- S030205R – Livestock Movement Record (docx - 21 KB)
- S040105R – Livestock Identification Record (docx - 21 KB)
- S050105R – Flock Management Plan (docx - 22 KB)
- S050205R – Model Letter to Neighbours (docx - 20 KB)
- S050305R – Record of Neighbouring Properties (docx - 21 KB)
- S050405R – Record of Straying Sheep (docx - 21 KB)
- S060105R – Sheep Selected for PFC Testing (docx - 24 KB)
- S060205R – Sheep Selected for Blood Testing (docx - 24 KB)
- S060305R – Sample Identification-Blood Testing (docx - 31 KB)
- S060405R – Sample Identification (docx - 20 KB)
- S060505R – Test Results Form (docx - 20 KB)
- S060705R – Test Results-Handling of Reactors (docx - 20 KB)
- S070105R – Vaccination Record (docx - 21 KB)
- S080105C – Document Control Register (docx - 24 KB)
- S080305C – SheepMAP Review Checklist and Report (docx - 27 KB)
- S010205R online version SheepMAP Auditor Checklist (xls - 102 KB)
- S080405C – Corrective Action and Improvement Report (docx - 20 KB)
- S080513C – Notification of status (docx - 41 KB)